Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Keeping Perspective

Just need to pop in a quick post here before I continue sharing our celebrations. Illnesses, traveling and life demands in general derailed our efforts for a few days in February and ever since then we fell into "catch up mode". We started to spend more time catching up than actually celebrating the current holiday. One day I realized that this totally defeats the purpose of what we are doing here - Making Every Day a Holiday! That is what this is supposed to be about: celebrating every day, enjoying every day, and doing something special (and fun!) as a family. So, with our perspective refreshed we have been celebrating the current day, and we will pay homage to the days we missed along the way when we get to them.

There are plenty of days we have celebrated, they just haven't made it to blog land yet. I'm skipping what we have missed and sharing what we have. Chronology be damned! I'm pretty sure "Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk Day" won't mind if we are a little late.  I have confessed to fighting the "shoulds" and other perfectionista tendencies. No more. It is about enjoying the process, not making it a grind. 

I have a feeling this perspective should be applied to a lot more things. My message today is this: take a good long look at all those "should be doing"s or "have to do"s on your list and try to apply a little perspective to them. I'm no shrink and have little to no right to preach on this subject but I know I am not alone. 

I have a friend from college who was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2001. She has a blog (http://misifusa.wordpress.com/) and a Facebook page (The Presents of Presence) and every day she shares messages of positivity and enjoying the present that helps remind me about letting go of the "shoulds" and the importance of enjoying the now. That's definitely worth celebrating.






No comments:

Post a Comment