Monday, March 12, 2012

February 9th - Tubs and Toothaches

It took approximately six weeks for me to give up trying to figure out where these holidays originate. It is not in my nature to give up, I need answers. Mark will attest to this. Ever since we bought our iPhones no question has gone unanswered. There is no reason for us to answer a question with "I dunno" when the answers are quite literally at our finger tips. Some holiday origins are obvious, some are fascinating, but those do not make up for the rest of them. Though I suppose that the fun is in speculating where these wacky days started, and who started them. I find myself thinking on this far too often, though it does keep my otherwise far too active mind occupied. Believe me, that's a good thing.

Case in point: Thursday, February 9th. We celebrated "Read In The Bathtub Day" and "Toothache Day".   Of course as I am typing this I am second guessing myself and asking, "Come on, Ness, did you REALLY research this?" So I am googling and typing at the same time. {{big sigh}} Alright, yes, these have origins worth mentioning. Dang it. Disregard previous paragraph.

Toothache Day is a little sketchy. The folks at Holiday Insights don't know the origin but suggest using it as a day to reflect upon your dental hygiene (yawn) though a reader suggested it may be in celebration of the Feast of St. Apollonia, Patron Saint of Dentists and people suffering from...wait for it, wait for it....toothaches. Nice guess, dear Holiday Insights reader. Check it out HERE if you have no life are so inclined. It is also Children's Dental Health Month. Coincindence? I think not. I am guessing no dessert is served at the Feast of St. Apollonia.

In honor of Toothache Day, don't let this happen to you...


And then there was National Read In The Bathtub Day. This is actually a national holiday. Really. You, yes you, can have your own national holiday. Google it. This post will be an epic tome the way I am going so please feel free to google it on your own.

So this woman submitted a request to Chase's Calendar of Events (which I am just finding out is the penultimate resource for holidays, insert another big sigh here) because her husband loves to read in the bathtub. There is even a Facebook page. Odd, but cute. And if she hadn't done that, we wouldn't have had the opportunity to celebrate it...


Pretty cool.

2 comments:

  1. There's a lot of Agatha Christie in that tub with Spence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who doesn't love a good, old-fashioned English mystery?

      Delete